307 Breaknck

Ett forum för chassi, trim, r-däck, bromsar, motorsport och körteknik t.ex. Sånt som gör dig och din bil snabbare runt-runt eller rakt fram helt enkelt.
User avatar
cybernck
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 19:31
Location: Bosnia
Contact:

307 Breaknck

Post by cybernck »

Finally, I start a little story about my new car.


After 7 years of owning my lovely white 1993 405 T16, I've had to make a big change and sell it to fund something
more reliable, newer and with more boot space for my bicycles. The T16 went to the UK and I was on a lookout
for a 307, firstly an SW, but then i decided to get an ordinary Estate. I'd gone off of an idea of getting a diesel
powered car and wanted a relaxed drive, so I narrowed my choice to a 2.0 16v with Automatic transmission
and full optional equipment.

Image

The trouble was, when I entered that info in mobile.de, I found only six cars with those properties, out of more than
1500 307 Estates for sale :wacko:, so when I got a call from someone local who offered me exactly what I'd been after,
freshly imported from SUI and registered (and for a very good price), I've had to take it, eventhough it was the only
"colour" that I didn't want to get, doh.


So there you go, a nice, 5-year old at the time of purchase (a year and a half ago) 307, which is above my average
owned car age by far :lol:.

Image

The same colour scheme as the T16, but 10 years, 85 bhp and 2 driven wheels less ;). It's packed with equipment,
starting with a sequental automatic (4-speed) gearbox, ABS, ESP, GPS, GSM, MP3, board computer, automatic aircon,
all 4 automatic windows, electric folding mirrors etc etc, just lacking half-leather seats I've had in all my cars so far :).


After a mandatory checkup, oil and filter change and tracing the horrible knocking sound to one of the ARB bushes,
the car was ready for the road and I was ready to start customising it accoring to my vision of what a 307 Estate was
supposed to look like to begin with :).


Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck


To be continued...
[ pug is my religion, 205 is my god ]

205 GTI 1.9 // 205 Mi16 1.9 // 405 T16 4x4

[ http://www.205gtidrivers.com ]
User avatar
munne
Posts: 372
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:19
Location: Stockholm

307

Post by munne »

Good luck, keep us posted.
PSC's private surgeon:)
User avatar
Morbidio
Guldmedlem
Guldmedlem
Posts: 5616
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 12:08

Post by Morbidio »

I wanna se a twin engined 307!! :twisted: :twisted:
User avatar
cybernck
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 19:31
Location: Bosnia
Contact:

Post by cybernck »

Hahaha, a twin-V6 307 would be nice indeed!

Ah well, an idea for the future :D.
[ pug is my religion, 205 is my god ]

205 GTI 1.9 // 205 Mi16 1.9 // 405 T16 4x4

[ http://www.205gtidrivers.com ]
User avatar
cybernck
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 19:31
Location: Bosnia
Contact:

Post by cybernck »

I suspect someone from Peugeot management comes along when the car design is finished
and orders the engineers to raise the car by 10 cm's or something, as the height of new cars
in general, especially Peugeots, looks really artificial, compared to the car shape. At least from
my designer's point of view.

Image

And not just that but the body roll and suspension travel made for a boat-like driving "pleasure".
Maybe it's down to me, as I'm used to sporty cars (205 GTI and 405 T16) but driving the 307
made me sick, quite literally, and I was scared to take corners. Luckily, the cure for the sickness
and the design error came from the UK in a form of a Jamex coilover kit:

Image


Mounting it was a straight-forward job for Brkic Servis guys and here's the result:

Image

This has completely transformed the way the car handles - excessive body roll pretty much
eliminated, sharper turn-in, faster shock absorbing etc - and was definitely worth the money,
but it has also shown that the "balloon" tyres will have to be replaced with something that will
work better in conjunction with the coilovers.


Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck


And the story continues...
[ pug is my religion, 205 is my god ]

205 GTI 1.9 // 205 Mi16 1.9 // 405 T16 4x4

[ http://www.205gtidrivers.com ]
User avatar
Rx37
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 18:31
Location: Finland

Post by Rx37 »

Yea that does look a lot better. And better handling is always good. Beautiful car :wink:
User avatar
cybernck
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 19:31
Location: Bosnia
Contact:

Post by cybernck »

After I fitted the coilovers - the wheels and tyres were next on the list. I tried out my 307 CC
Challenger wheels (6.5x17" ET31) that I bought a few years ago with the intention of fitting
them on my "future" 307 :). I couldn't get hold of the 205/50/17 tyres (OE size), so I tried them
on with 205/45/17, but they were skinny for the 307's arches thus I decided to take them off.

Image


My 205 GTI needed a new battery, so I nicked it from the 307, which I replaced with a new
Varta Silver Dynamic 63Ah battery. That was a perfect timing as I was just about to start
fitting some audio equipment - a mixture of what I've already had and what I was able to
get in exchange for some work :). The original 307's 6-speaker audio system is horrible,
much worse than some other manufacturers' I'd say - and with an equally crappy preparation
for a better system (front woofers mounted on a rattly door card and with next to no volume
to work from).

Image


For the front speakers I got Ground Zero Titanium mk2 16.5 cm / 6.5" component speakers,
while for the rears I got 13 cm / 5" coaxials, from the same GZ range. The amplifier for the
front speakers (and a fututre sub-woofer) is an old but nice Magnat Rave 440, while the
headunit is an old trusty Kenwood cassette player with a 10 CD changer - this is my third
car I've installed it in :).

Image

The 307 is now a much nicer place to be in :).


Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=3


Next update soon...
[ pug is my religion, 205 is my god ]

205 GTI 1.9 // 205 Mi16 1.9 // 405 T16 4x4

[ http://www.205gtidrivers.com ]
User avatar
Alex
Guldmedlem
Guldmedlem
Posts: 3508
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2005 19:06
Location: Malmö

Post by Alex »

[ pug is my religion, 205 is my god ]

:thumbup:
Peugeot Sport Club | Gabbagabbaheymoderator!
SKÅNE ÄGER!
just nu...
205 Gti Monte Carlo-91-Turbo8
205mi16 Monte Carlo-91
308SW 1,6 Turbo-09-Grå haj
User avatar
Jaaacob
Crew
Crew
Posts: 8481
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 19:59
Location: Stockholm

Post by Jaaacob »

very nice! more of this!
Peugeot Sport Club | CREW
If you fit a big cam and fit a smaller carbie, it is the same as running down the road with your hand over your mouth - it won't work!

Austin Mini 1300 -75
Austin Mini S 1275 -70
Golf Mk1 C Gti - Banpreppad -84
Matra Bagheera Röd - m560 -73
Matra Bagheera Svart - m550 -74
Och många fler...
User avatar
SNILLET
Crew
Crew
Posts: 11980
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:58
Location: Det medeltida Kungälv

Post by SNILLET »

If the 307 makes you sick, you should try an original 106XR :mrgreen:
:lol:, the handling of those are stunningly well behaved considering how soft they are though.

Any mechanical (powerwise) mods in plan ? :)
Hans Hellström

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
User avatar
Peter Igelhammar
Crew
Crew
Posts: 11155
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 23:50
Location: Halmstad
Contact:

Post by Peter Igelhammar »

Nice!

Did u try the sound after just replaced the speakers?
Peugeot Sport Club Crew
http://www.igelhammar.se" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just nu:
307 Kombi HDI FAP 08a 110 pigga

Tidigare:
406 coupé, 106 Rallye, 205 Gti, 405 mi16 ,309 Gti/16, 205 cti mi16

Vem är Mr Cap?
Du må ikke drite i hanskeromme.
User avatar
cybernck
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 19:31
Location: Bosnia
Contact:

Post by cybernck »

Alex> :D

Snillet> Well, you wouldn't believe (or you would?) but I nearly bought a V6 210bhp engine
with automatic gearbox last year, but no-one was able to guarantee to complete the swap
(due complex electrics / BSI) and I wouldn't be sattisfied with anything less than perfect
integration (everything working correctly). But we'll see... ;)

Peter> Yes, much much better, ofcourse :). But many upgrades planned still.
[ pug is my religion, 205 is my god ]

205 GTI 1.9 // 205 Mi16 1.9 // 405 T16 4x4

[ http://www.205gtidrivers.com ]
User avatar
cybernck
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 19:31
Location: Bosnia
Contact:

Post by cybernck »

While searching high and low for a subwoofer to suit my taste, I tried out several different
10" and 12" subwoofers but none of them was what I'd been looking for. What they've all
had it common was a vented (bassreflex) enclosure. I figured out I need a sealed box
setup and then this puppy came along:

Image

Focal 33A 13-inch subwoofer in a compact sealed box. It worked like a dream and I've always
had a dream of having Focal speakers, so that was it! I also got a Kenwood 10 CD MP3 changer
and a 2-changer switcher with an additional AUX in. One of the small but important things I had
done was getting rid of the horrible licence plate holders and rivetting the plates on the car.


And then the BIG news, in every way - I got my new wheels! They are a replica of one of
my favourite wheels of all time - Arospeed RSGT. I went for graphite grey with polished rim
in 7.5x18" ET15 and with 225/40/18 tyres - they look great both off and on the car and fill
the arches perfectly.

Image

Together with the coilovers, the car now feels and handles exactly as I wanted - very tight.
I later lowered the front of the car by further 10-15 mm to get a near-perfect stance.
And like the coilovers, the wheels came from the UK as well :).


Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=4


Next update soon!
[ pug is my religion, 205 is my god ]

205 GTI 1.9 // 205 Mi16 1.9 // 405 T16 4x4

[ http://www.205gtidrivers.com ]
User avatar
cybernck
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 19:31
Location: Bosnia
Contact:

Post by cybernck »

I decided to keep going with the Focal theme throughout the car, so I purchased nearly new Focal 130CA (5"/13cm coaxials) speakers for the rear doors. Not that I will hear them much but rear passengers may do.

Image

Entry-level Focals versus entry-level Ground Zeros. Focals are more sensitive, go a touch deeper have clearer mid-range and have a much more detailed tweeter. Focals also have bigger magnet, wider and softer rubber suspension and swivel tweeter.


I also purchased and retrofitted a cruise control stalk, as I hate keeping my foot steady for hours on highways. It's almost a plug & play affair, at least on my car, with throttle-by-wire and automatic gearbox, only actions required are a small mod to a lower steering column cover and setup in BSI.

Image

I've shown a step-by-step installation guide in the gallery, so take a look, if you're interested.


And finally, you can check the new ride height (after recent lowering) and see some interesting photos too:

Image


Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=5
[ pug is my religion, 205 is my god ]

205 GTI 1.9 // 205 Mi16 1.9 // 405 T16 4x4

[ http://www.205gtidrivers.com ]
User avatar
cybernck
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 19:31
Location: Bosnia
Contact:

Post by cybernck »

Focal 165 K2P component speaker set - pretty expensive, but once I heard them in action,
I simply couldn't listen to my Ground Zeros anymore and had to get them. I found a brand new
set in the UK. Very lucky find, as they're not in production anymore and used sets fetch high prices.

Image

Midrange speaker with kevlar membrane, very detailed tweeters and adjustable crossovers.
Can't believe I actually have them now, as I've been dreaming about their predecessors (165K),
many years ago! :D

Image

I managed to fit them onto the door cards, only just. They sound brilliant but will require proper
installation to make most out of them. I won't waste words trying to describe the difference
between them and my previous speakers.


Next, I fitted some frameless "aero" wiper blades but the other big news in this update is
a set of TSW Pace 7x18" ET18 wheels, that I got in exchange for my 17" Challengers:

Image

They suit the car nicely and completely change the appearance, but they're up for sale,
as I prefer my RS-GTs :).


And finally, a photo of modified vs standard:

Image

Modified wins ;).


Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=6
[ pug is my religion, 205 is my god ]

205 GTI 1.9 // 205 Mi16 1.9 // 405 T16 4x4

[ http://www.205gtidrivers.com ]
User avatar
Fnatte
Klubbmedlem
Klubbmedlem
Posts: 3740
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 17:35
Location: Stockholm
Contact:

Post by Fnatte »

It can be soo easy transforming a car, from standard to something much more.
Namn: Fnatte l Bil: The Blåbär, Peugeot 206 EVO½ l Baguette ( l l l l ) Racing l

FR Autosport Sweden FTW
User avatar
cybernck
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 19:31
Location: Bosnia
Contact:

Post by cybernck »

Yes, easy (if you're doing the right things) but definitely not as cheap :).
[ pug is my religion, 205 is my god ]

205 GTI 1.9 // 205 Mi16 1.9 // 405 T16 4x4

[ http://www.205gtidrivers.com ]
User avatar
Jaaacob
Crew
Crew
Posts: 8481
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 19:59
Location: Stockholm

Post by Jaaacob »

Very nice!
Image
Peugeot Sport Club | CREW
If you fit a big cam and fit a smaller carbie, it is the same as running down the road with your hand over your mouth - it won't work!

Austin Mini 1300 -75
Austin Mini S 1275 -70
Golf Mk1 C Gti - Banpreppad -84
Matra Bagheera Röd - m560 -73
Matra Bagheera Svart - m550 -74
Och många fler...
User avatar
cybernck
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 19:31
Location: Bosnia
Contact:

Post by cybernck »

Hehe, yeah :).

But can you please edit that to link, so that it doesn't load up the image always?

Thanks.
[ pug is my religion, 205 is my god ]

205 GTI 1.9 // 205 Mi16 1.9 // 405 T16 4x4

[ http://www.205gtidrivers.com ]
User avatar
Peter Igelhammar
Crew
Crew
Posts: 11155
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 23:50
Location: Halmstad
Contact:

Post by Peter Igelhammar »

2 bad, it isn´t phase 2 of the 307 :wink:
Peugeot Sport Club Crew
http://www.igelhammar.se" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just nu:
307 Kombi HDI FAP 08a 110 pigga

Tidigare:
406 coupé, 106 Rallye, 205 Gti, 405 mi16 ,309 Gti/16, 205 cti mi16

Vem är Mr Cap?
Du må ikke drite i hanskeromme.
Post Reply